Hey-o, I have just finished reading/looking at the first volume of the Death Note manga series! (I say looking because it is pretty full of pictures that you do look at… ) Loved it, just like the anime!
Me and MOH caught onto the Death Note epidemic last year, I think when we purchased the movie double pack as it was released in OZ. The anime was shown surreptitiously on our world network channel, SBS.
Soon after, the anime started being released to DVD and we got the whole series. The film was like Hello Kitty compared to the evil genius that was the Death Note anime. It was much more intricate, more emotive, more rough, more arrogant (well, Light Yagami was) and just had a very well rounded cast of characters.
For those of you who don’t know what Death Note is about, I’ll see if I can shatter it to pieces for you to step on:
- A shinigami (death god), Ryuk drops his Death Notebook into the human world
- A Death Note is used to record the names and times of people to die, by shinigami
- The genius teenage son (Light Yagami) of Japan’s police chief, finds the notebook at school
- Light discovers what its for and uses the notebook and meets Ryuk
- Because he is essentially a good kid, Light Yagami, uses the notebook to kill off criminals to make the world a better place
- He attracts attenton to himself and a search is on for the person/people behind all the deaths
- Light with Ryuk by his side (enjoying the delights of the human psyche, I guess) outwits most after him because he believes he is doing the right thing
- L, the world’s greatest detective, makes it his own personal mission to find Light
And the war is on between good and good turning evil. All the characters are pretty good especially Ryuk and REM, the two shinigami that appear in Death Note quite a bit. I really liked Light in the movies but by the time I watched all of the anime, I don’t really favour his opinions as much as I thought I did.
But yeah, now it’s time for me to start volume two!
Word of advice: Always keep an apple with you, you may need it…: